Monday, August 22, 2011

Maximizing Your Gaming Dollar The Chaos Way Part II

A few posts ago I wrote about how an aspiring Dark Eldar player could presumably save money on a unit of Beastmasters. While the metal models are nice for both the hounds and the Beastmasters themselves, they are quite expensive. I won't go into the money details here, but suffice to say that a full squad could break the bank. So, what to do?




Well, I realized that a box of Vampire Counts Hounds was much more cost effective and would achieve the same results. Using some old Chaos Spawn bits certainly helped, but really aren't necessary. Indeed, the hounds on their own would work just fine. So, I have fully assembled a pack of ten. Not too bad, eh?



As for the Beastmasters, I used a regular box of Hellions. This cost me for 5 plastic what it would have cost me for 2! So, how to make them Beastmasters? Well, there was no way I'd do the skull helm thing, so I decided to give them all whips! See, from all the other DE stuff I've gotten over the past few months, I had plenty of left over bits. So, I gave four of them whips, and the champion I gave a spear (from the Scourges) to make him stand out. I also gave them different heads from the normal Hellions, again, so they'd be different. Finally, I gave them tattoos and markings on their skyboards, so that they'd be a bit different from the regular Hellions.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the results. It was a fun job to convert them, and the Beastmasters certainly look the part with their whips, pushing the beasts forward. It also saved me a good chunk of change. I did so much conversion work on my Plague Marines and other Chaos stuff; I was glad to apply some of that knowledge here for the Dark Eldar. I wonder what I should work on next?



Well, that's it for now. I hope you enjoyed this post,  and maybe it has helped you to maximize your gaming dollar the Chaos way! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment