Monday, August 22, 2011

Chaos Terrian

Ah, brothers and sisters of Chaos. Welcome back to the latest edition of Chaos Corner. I haven't posted in a bit, as work has gotten in the way. Alas! If only there was a way for me to make money off of my Warhammer 40K hobby and live in the manner to which I am accustomed, I'd be all set. But, I suppose that's why it's called "work" and not "fun"...

I have been busy in the modeling front though, make no mistake about it. I've been working on various Dark Eldar pieces, as well as terrain. Yep, I've painted up a really cool terrain piece. Now, see, I've always put most of my modeling effort into the soldiers themselves, and why wouldn't I? These are the things I'll be playing with, after all. I want to be proud of their look on the tabletop. To me, terrain was just a side-business, if you will.

However, I've realized that terrain makes the battlefield all the more interesting, look and story wise. I have a ton of terrain (mostly bought and pre-painted, though not all), but I've noticed that I've used the same stuff over and over again. A little variety would be nice, for all involved (me, my opponents, spectators). So, I have vowed to make a bigger effort at terrain.

The first to come out of this renewed effort is the Chaos themed Temple of Skulls. Now, yes it's for WHF, but heck, Chaos is Chaos in any millennium, so why the heck not? So, I decided to paint it up all nice and chaos-y. I chose a mix of browns and grays for the dirt. For the steps and towers, I decided to do black with a light gray highlight, to make it look like obsidian. The skulls are painted up from Scorched Brown to Bleached Bone- I thought pure white would be too much of a stark contrast. Besides, the Bleached Bone look could mean the skulls were carved out of lighter rock, OR they could be REAL (this is Chaos after all, so who the heck knows?).

So, now I have a new, cool looking piece of terrain for my battles. Next up, I'm working on the Sky Shield Landing Pad. I'll be sure to post pics of that when its done. Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment