Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Olden Days

When I went to college, my friend Pete introduced me to the Warhammer 40K universe, and I've never looked back. I began seriously playing/collecting in 2000. I decided to go with the Dark Eldar. They were quite new to the game, and they came packed with the starter set if I'm not mistaken. At the time, I really liked the models. The Warriors, Scourges, and Raiders looked really cool and unique. I also liked the idea that they were "evil"- the bad versions of the Eldar.

So, in the summer of 2000, I bought the codex, a battle force, and some other things. I bought them from Wizards of the Coast, which had several locations on Long Island. Getting home, I began assembling them- the warriors were great, though some of the spikey bits for the head tended to slide off. I had an idea for the color scheme, but like a kid in the proverbial candy store, I had a ton of ideas. I decided to experiment with colors- one squad was black and silver (my "cylons"), another was green and black, another purple and gold (my school colors)... finally, I decided to go with red, black, and gold. I thought the red and black was striking, and that the gold broke it up a bit.

Looking back now, the paint scheme was really bad. But, it was a start, and I was happy to get into the hobby. Of course, I began gaming against my friend Pete, who is a Tyranid player. My brother Steve also began to get involved in the hobby, preferring the guns of the Imperial Guard to just about everything else. In playing these opponents, I discovered that I wasn't winning that much. I couldn't quite figure it out- my army kept getting killed. At this point, Pete showed me the line in the book that said the DE was a connoisseurs army- a "master's army"... Ugh. I hadn't realized that when I bought them... now what would I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment