Thursday, February 9, 2017

My Bloodbowl Teams

Hey there Chaos fanatics! Old Man Chaos is back with yet another spine-tingling installment of Chaos Corner. Today though we have something a little different. As the title says... lets see some Bloodbowl!!!


When I got into Warhammer in the late 1990s, I wasn't THAT serious about it. I bought a few models here and there- Vallhallans, Mordians, Tyranids. My friend Pete introduced me to Warhammer 40K, but for those first couple of years I wasn't as serious about it- I just bought what looked cool. Well, I remember going to a hobby store in this early phase of my hobby career and I saw the original Bloodbowl game. I thought it looked awesome, but I didn't have the money to buy both 40K and that, so I opted for the 40K. I would go back to that hobby store many times, and I never got Bloodbowl- then it was gone. As I got more and more into 40K, I always regretted not getting the game.


Now fast forward a couple of decades- the recent re-release of Bloodbowl was really a thrill for me. I picked it up from my local hobby store the day before Thanksgiving. I put them all together ASAP and played a Thanksgiving Bloodbowl game with my brother. It was a bit complicated but also a lot of fun.


I spent the month of December painting the orks and the humans. As I stated in my last blog, I was having a tough time enjoying the hobby (or anything else), but Bloodbowl actually kinda got me back in to painting frequently again.


For the Orks, I decided to go for Mephiston Red for the armor plates. I like how the red really pops without overwhelming the model. It also contrasts very nicely with the green Ork flesh. I did their shirts black with a grey highlight, and the pants were Zandri dust with lots of washes to make it look really filthy.




I added to the Orks their team numbers on both their front and back, so that they can be identified on the field. Not only is that football realistic, it will also allow me to say "Number 1 is a catcher/blocker/whatever". This way the models don't always HAVE to be that particular type.


As for the humans, I decided to do purple armor plates with gold trim. That's because my High School team colors was purple and gold, so I figured why the heck not. Besides, it is very different from the red and green Orks. I did make their pants tan as well, but with far less brown washes so that they appeared cleaner than the Orks.


For both teams, I used Stirland Mud for the bases. Then, in a first, I decided to put tufts of grass on their bases (thus looking like part of the field that has become messed up and muddied by the game). The tuft is from Army Painter. I liked the look so much that I would then put tufts on my Thousand Sons. The Army Painter stuff is really good, with many different varieties of tufts (grass, tundra, etc).







Unfortunately, I haven't had time to play a game since. I am hoping to soon, as I really enjoyed the game and I really want to see my models on the field. As Theodore Roosevelt said:

"Don't flinch, don't foul, and hit the line hard"








My next post will undoubtedly be more Thousand sons (I'm working on 10 more Rubric Marines now). Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you were destined to get your hands on the Bloodbowl minis. Great work by the way.

    ReplyDelete