Wednesday, July 9, 2014

For Your Consideration: Plague Drones of Nurgle

Hey there my fellow denizens of the warp. Old man Chaos is back with another installment of the Chaos Corner. This summer hasn't been quite as relaxing as I had hoped thus far, but that's life. However, I have finished some models though, so without further ado, I present for your consideration.... Plague Drones of Nurgle!








I had gotten my first three Plague Drones when they first came out. These first three were a pain to put together, and I struggled to find a good paint scheme for the flies. I tried some things that I felt just didn't work. I then got sidetracked with other projects that just kept popping up. The real problem was that I just didn't find a good look for the bugs. The Plaguebearers I could do in my sleep, but these giant, ugly flies... I just didn't know what to do.







Then at Christmas, I received another 3 from my wife. I didn't put them together at first at all- again, other projects kept coming. Then, about a month and a half ago, I had the urge to put the new three together. Now that I knew what to do, these new 3 went together very quickly. With that, I became inspired to push ahead and get them painted. Once I hit upon the right combination (and a few great ideas from my friend Pete), I got into a groove and felt confident in how they were turning out.













So, what did I end up doing? For the fly bodies, I started with a Zandri Dust basecoat followed by a rather liberal shading of Earthshade. Then, I did a light drybrushing of Karak Stone. The result was a somewhat pale but very bloated looking color. After so many experiments, I really liked how they came out.







For their carapace and legs I did black with Stegadon Green OR Incubi Darkness edge highlights (I alternated on which I used, as I liked both). The wings I give all due credit to Pete, who had a great idea. The wings would be basecoated with Rakarth Flesh. Then, there would be one of three washes: green, blue, or purple. This was followed up by a coat of gloss varnish. Thus, the wings now had an iridescent look, and the different washes ensures that the bugs wings are all unique, yet certainly look like a unified force.









I was also very liberal with my the technical paints, slime and blood. While you certainly can go too far with these paints, I figured daemons can absolutely look a little more extreme and that's fine. After all, these buggers (ha ha) are quite large and, while not a centerpiece for the army, they do stand out. So, I put some extra slime to make them look all Nurgly. I particularly put slime on/in the proboscis- ewww indeed.




I finished them a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't get to take pics of them until today actually. Did I mention that my studio set is really good? I do enjoy taking pics with it. Simple to use, with great results. All I need is a more professional camera...

Well, I hope that you liked the models. I am looking forward to using them pretty soon. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment