Monday, March 12, 2012

Newly Painted Terrain: Sanctum Imperialis


Hey there everybody. I'm back with another Warhammer 40K article. This time I'm going to show you the latest bit of terrain building that I've done. Truth is, I was never a fan of terrain making/painting, but lately, I've had the urge to work on that quite a bit. I've been building and painting a few buildings now, and I must say I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I will be getting back to Dark Eldar  soon enough- I just had the terrain bug, and since I don't do enough terrain wise, I figured I should while I have the will to do so.



Truthfully, I have a ton of the City Fight building terrain. My original plan, long ago when those sets came out, was to do a huge Imperial city with those GW pieces. Those, when combined with other buildings that I had (from Armourcast and Gale Force 9), would add up to an enormous city (or plenty of variety for smaller city battles). However, several years and armies later, that grand vision never quite materialized.



Well, until now, that is. I have been doing terrain off and on for the past several months (check out my older terrain articles for some of that). I put together the landing pad, a Chaos shrine, and recently I've been doing a whole factory complex (I'm working on the third part of that now).



However, I have just completed a Sanctum Imperialis building. I based it on top of a Warhammer Fantasy movement tray, just like I did the factories. It looks like city cement with those squares, so that fits with my city motif. I wanted to make the building a bit longer, so if I want to make a second building piece to connect it, I can, but I don't have to if I don't want to.


 I used the GW resin terrain bits/rubble for the detail work, as well as cutting pieces of the Fantasy movement tray borders and made them look like steel beams/girders. I also put big and small rubble pieces too. Finally, to round out the details, I put two street lamps outside, and a box of ammunition on the inside.



 To paint it, I used various browns. I used Khermi Brown as the base, with successive highlights of Graveyard Earth and Desert Yellow. I also streaked grey across some parts, to simulate age or damage. The rubble I did Scorched Brown, with the other browns as highlights. The buildings tiles I did with Adeptus Grey, followed by some Fortress Grey.


I must confess, it is not a perfect paint job. But then again, it IS a ruined building, so it doesn't have to be perfect. I am pleased with how it turned out. Many of my buildings are grey, so this brown was VERY different for me. Indeed, I don't know the last time I used Khermi or Desert Yellow on anything.


I've shown you some shots of the building, as well as some models on it to give it some scale and some action. The Inquisitorial forces don't stand a chance against the Traitor Legions, do they? Of course not! This is Chaos Corner after all! If you want lies and pro-Imperial propaganda, go elsewhere! Hahaha! I'm kidding! You Imperails take everything so seriously...


Well, I hope you liked the pics. Maybe this will inspire you to do your own terrain. Or maybe it will give you other ideas. Until next time...



3 comments:

  1. Doooooood! This is EXACTLY what I've been working on as well! I also use the movement trays as bases (of which I need to order many more), but I haven't gotten around to painting yet. Thank you for this article- not only is it awesome to see your work (and it looks quite good!), but now I'm motivated to build some more buildings after a couple weeks' break. Keep it up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words. And yes, those movement trays are perfect for building bases. I am very glad that you feel a bit inspired to keep on going with your own terrain. I hope to see your own buildings when you are done with them!

    ReplyDelete