Sunday, November 25, 2018

New Typhus and a New Plagueburst Crawler


Hey there Chaos fanatics. I know I've been missing in action for a while, but little children don't raise themselves you know- plus I'm busy at work too! I have had a lot less time to get my modeling and painting in.

I got a new Warlord Titan LOL

I've just had my birthday recently, and got several gifts from friends and family. My wife got me a new Plagueburst Crawler. Originally I wasn't a fan of the design, but it has since grown on me. I also think the rules for it need a bit of improvement (either make it ballistic skill 3 OR make the mortar 2D6 take the highest. A randomized weapon with a BS of 4 really sucks for the Death Guard).



However, the Entropy Cannons are lethal (again, if you get a 4+ BS), and I've discovered if you put a generic Chaos Lord there to babysit them you can re-roll 1s (so just avoid those 2s and 3s). If you are rolling hot, the Crawler is a very interesting tank, especially as its Daemonic and has Disgustingly Resilient to boot. Perhaps the Predator is a better option, but I do like this tank



At any rate, I built the model pretty quickly and wanted to do something to make it stand apart from the previous one I did . So I went to my bitz box and grabbed some Nurglings from the new Great Unclean One . At the time I wanted the model itself to stand out and not be distracted from by the Nurglings. So I had saved them. Now was my chance to use them.


I put two Nurglings on the spiked railings at either side of the tank. One looks like he is just sitting back relaxing as the tank moves forward, which I thought was amusing. The other Nurgling has a mace, ready to swipe at any enemy that gets too close to the Crawler. The third Nurgling was the one being stepped on bu the GUO, so he was kinda flat. Thus, he was the perfect size to place into the mortar of the Crawler. It looks like he is about to be fired at some unsuspecting foe. Again, it is amusing and goes with Nurgle's sense of humor.


I also took my time with the tank rust effects. I used dark browns, moving up to stippling brighter (Mornfang) browns, followed by stipplings of Ryza Rust and Leadbealcher. Thus the rust looks slightly different (and in my opinion better) than my previous tank.


All in all, I think this tank is better than my first. I really feel the Nurglings give the tank a bit of a story or joke. The tank really looks good, and while it looks similar to my previous one its just different enough to be an improvement. Now I need just one more LOL...



My friend Pete got me Typhus for my birthday as well. I didn't get the new Typhus when he came out last year as I already had my old Typhus. However, the old Typhus is very small compared to all the new Death Guard models. The Lord of Contagion is like a monster in comparison. In the end, I decided I wanted the new Typhus and put him on my Amazon list. Pete obliged and made him my birthday present.



I painted him Death Guard Green, with a healthy wash of Earthsahde to tone him down, followed by highlights of Nurgling Green. The plague vents were done with The Fang and darkened with the Earthshade as well. The blade of his Manreaper was done with the same rust technique I talked about above. I really think the blade really looks rusty- yes, I am proud of how that turned out.



So with Typhus done, I finished two painting projects. I am happy with how both came out. As it turns out, I felt the urgency to do these as I am playing a huge game this upcoming Friday. I wanted these two finished for the big birthday game. Nothing like a little motivation to keep the painting juices flowing. Now hopefully I can paint other stuff after the game whilst also raising my Titan, er, son.


Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. You know how all Lego movies nowadays end with humans playing with the Legos ... imagine a W40K with your very own Warlord Titan smashing through a Hive World ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be pretty cool. Sorry for the late reply- its been a busy time LOL

      Delete